What is the Educator’s Forum: The UWS Educator’s Forum is a special session intended to bring together teachers who give woodturning instruction in their classrooms or who are interested in teaching woodturning. The presenters will share curriculum, project ideas, handouts, resources, educational objectives, and experiences that will help others strengthen their woodturning instruction.
When: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 7:30 - 9:00, Demonstration Area #1, UCCU Events Center.
• Kip Christensen (forum facilitator): Coordinates student teaching for the BYU Technology Education and Engineering program and works with several teachers in the public schools who teach woodturning. Kip also teaches woodturning workshops for school teachers.
• Scott Cherry: Teaches a woodturning class at Timpview High School in Provo Utah.
• Jonathan Cox: Teaches woodworking and woodturning at Mill Creek Youth Center, a Youth in Custody program in the Ogden (Utah) City School District.
• Paul Otterstrom: Teaches woodturning as part of his manufacturing curriculum at Mount Jordan Middle School in Sandy Utah.
• Jim Rodgers: Coordinates and teaches adult woodturning instruction for the Woodturning Center School at Pleasant Hill Education Center in California.
Admission /Registration: This forum is free to all who would like to attend. Registration for the symposium is not required. The Instant Gallery is also open without charge and we suggest that educators not registered for the symposium arrive around 6:30 and view the gallery before the Educator’s Forum begins. Attendance at other sessions requires symposium registration.